FORT BRAGG (AP) — A preliminary hearing will be held next month to determine if there’s enough evidence for an Army brigadier general to be put on trial on sex crimes charges, Fort Bragg officials said Thursday.
The Article 32 hearing for Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair will be Nov. 5 at the sprawling post that is home to the 82nd Airborne Division, a statement said. Sinclair was deputy commander in charge of logistics and support for the division’s troops in Afghanistan from July 2010 until he was sent home in May because of the allegations.
Sinclair has served five combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Two U.S. defense officials told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity last month that Sinclair has been charged with forcible sodomy, multiple counts of adultery and having inappropriate relationships with several female subordinates. Sinclair faces possible courts martial on charges that include forced sex; wrongful sexual conduct; violating an order; possessing pornography and alcohol while deployed; and misusing a government travel charge card and filing fraudulent claims.
Since he returned to the U.S., Sinclair has been assigned as a special assistant to the commanding general of 18th Airborne Corps. General officers under investigation are often temporarily assigned as special assistants to senior officers or commanders.
Sinclair has not been arrested or had other restrictions imposed, Fort Bragg spokesman Benjamin Abel said Thursday. The general’s military defense lawyers have asked to not be identified, Abel said, adding that he did not know the name of the officer who would preside over the Article 32 hearing. The hearing officer must outrank Sinclair.
A phone listing found for Sinclair was disconnected.