CHARLOTTE (AP) — A North Carolina judge says Charlotte will maintain control of one of the nation’s busiest airports instead of a commission pushed by state Republican lawmakers.
Judge Robert Ervin on Monday blocked the commission from taking over Charlotte Douglas International Airport while both sides wait for a decision by the Federal Aviation Administration on the issue.
The city praised the ruling as a victory in its contentious fight with Republican lawmakers.
The judge last year issued a preliminary injunction blocking the state from stripping control of the airport from the city until the FAA weighed in on the issue. The FAA has said it would stay out of the legal fight.
Charlotte Mayor Dan Clodfelter says the city hopes the ruling will end the legal dispute.