CHARLOTTE (AP) — The family of a man shot and killed by Charlotte police more than two years ago is suing the city.
The Charlotte Observer reports that 26-year-old Clay McCall was shot Sept. 14, 2012, as he ran at officers with garden shears.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say McCall had a history of mental illness and violence. They say he was agitated, disoriented and uncooperative during the confrontation.
The Mecklenburg County district attorney’s office says the officer was justified in shooting.
Charlotte attorney Matt Newton said his brother had been calm and cooperative that morning and was shot even though he posed no threat.
Newton accuses the officers, Police Chief Rodney Monroe and the city and county governments of wrongful death and negligence.
Assistant City Attorney Daniel Peterson says the allegations are unfounded.