GRAHAM, N.C. (AP) — The Alamance-Burlington Board of Education has settled with a student burned by melted cheese in a school cafeteria.
The Times-News reports that during a hearing Monday, the school board agreed to pay the girl and her mother $4,728. The amount will pay medical losses, attorney fees and other damages.
The student was a first-grader at Newlin Elementary in Oct. of 2012 when an open cup of nacho cheese spilled and severely burned her right hand and arm. She was treated in the burn unit at UNC hospitals.
The student, represented by her mother, Candace Gerringer, and Greensboro attorney J. Rufus Farrior, sued in Sept. 2014 but filed a voluntarily dismissal Feb. 24.
The settlement releases the school board and all Alamance-Bulington schools employees from any liability in the case.