CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory’s office says it’s appealing a judge’s decision refusing to dismiss a lawsuit by the news media that says the administration fails to comply with the state’s open records law.
The Charlotte Observer reported the governor’s office filed a request Monday to prevent news media attorneys from taking statements from witnesses while an appeal is prepared.
Superior Court Judge John Craig last week rejected the McCrory administration’s request that the lawsuit by the Observer, The News & Observer of Raleigh and several other news organizations be dismissed.
The news organizations contend the state has systematically defied the public records law by failing to provide requests as quickly as possible.
Gubernatorial spokesman Graham Wilson said Tuesday the administration has fulfilled thousands of requests for public records.